Look at some of the staggering numbers from yesterday.
Lake Barkley dam was releasing 300,000 cubic feet of water per second (cfs). One cubic foot equals 7.48 gallons. That means that the dam was releasing:
- 2.24-million gallons per second
- 134.6-million gallons per second
- 8.07-billion (with a b) gallons per second
The numbers for Kentucky Lake dam are even higher. The dam was releasing 350,000 cfs. That means the dam was releasing:
- 2.61-million gallons per second
- 157-million gallons per minute
- 9.42-billion gallons per hour.
In comparison, Niagra Falls releases 100,000 cfs.
According to the National Weather Service, the release flow will back down over the next couple of days. By the weekend, TVA plans to have it down to 100,000 cfs.
Post a Comment