Friday, April 15, 2011

1:00am Weather Update 4/15

Just looking over new data coming in tonight concerning Friday's storm potential. My thinking has not really changed much since yesterday's post.

Two rounds of thunderstorms will be possible.

First round comes early Friday morning from storms originating in Oklahoma/Kansas Thursday afternoon. The main threat with this round will be damaging wind and heavy rain.

The second round will come during the afternoon. The main threat will be large hail and tornadoes. The second round is contingent on us seeing some sunshine by late morning/early afternoon. If we stay cloudy from the mornings rain, the severe weather threat will be drastically reduced.

I just checked the latest forecast from the Storm Prediction Center and their forecast concurs with mine. They are indicating the potential for some very large hail. A 10% or greater probability of 2" diameter hail or larger during the afternoon. They also indicate a 10% or greater probability of EF2-EF5 tornadoes.

I am still debating between going out storm chasing tomorrow, staying home and streaming weather coverage online or going in to work at the station. The large hail potential has me a little concerned taking a car in to storms. It will probably be a last minute decision as to what I do.

1 comments:

Sunshine near Piedmont. ...:)

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More